Friday, December 24, 2010

True Grit

December 24.

I didn't see the original "True Grit" and don't really have an affinity for Westerns. But when the Coen Brothers make a movie, I make it a point to show up. And again they made an amazing movie. The story was perfect, the dialogue witty, smart, and interesting, and the actors, well they were the best part. A Coen trademark is the actors. From the lead roles or the smallest parts every person is unique to look at and wonderful to watch. "True Grit" was no different.

Jeff Bridges is very Dude, or at least his speech is, as a tough U.S. Marshall,  always drunk and a little too old to be running around the Indian territory trying to find a murderer (not that the Dude did that). Although he is great, as is Matt Damon, and even Josh Brolin, it's Hailee Steinfeld, who I've never even seen before, that I fell in love with. Her character, the 14-year-old who hires Bridges to find her father's murderer, is tough and extremely bright for her age.

This is exactly a Christmas movie,  but if Christmas is about family and gun fights in the Wild West, then why not.

2 comments:

  1. My dad will have a fit if you don't see the original. It's wonderful, although probably very different from the new one. I can't wait to see this version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I thought I had to divulge the fact that I hadn't seen it before I said anything about this one. I will see it. Don't tell him. Shh.

    ReplyDelete