Thursday, December 30, 2010

The King's Speech


December 26.

If you follow my blog you know I love the British Royals. So, you can probably guess how excited I was to see such great actors in a movie about a royal story I knew almost nothing about.

Colin Firth plays King George VI, better known to this generation as Queen Elizabeth II's father. I knew his brother was king first and that he abdicated to marry an American divorcee, which made George VI king and Elizabeth heir to the throne; but the stutter was news to me.

"The King's Speech" was a perfect movie. Charming and funny, well written and acted. The story centered around the forgotten prince's speech impediment, his strong-willed wife, and his amazing speech therapist. But in the background was the story of the struggle with his family and his duty to his country just as Hitler was taking over Germany and pulling Europe into war.

I know a lot of people don't think they care about watching a king learn how to speak but I can't think of anyone who wouldn't like this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment