Thursday, December 23, 2010

Black Swan

December 18.

When I first saw the preview for "Black Swan" I knew I wanted to see it but I wasn't sure what exactly was going on. Was Natalie Portman turning into a swan? Was she just freaking out? Was the ballet director making her sleep with him for the part? Was someone beating her? Is Mila Kunis trying to kill her?

Now that I've seen it some of those questions are answered, but I'm still not sure what was real and what was fantasy. This is definitely more than a drama though. Maybe it's horror or at least a psychological thriller.

Either way, director Darren Aronofsky made another too-real, intense, amazing movie. He strips away all the beauty of the ballet and shows the competitive dancing world complete with bloody feet, puking uptight girls, and an aging star who can't handle being replaced. And that doesn't even touch the surface of the actual story.

Some of the beauty does come back during the last act when you see opening night, but I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment