Friday, December 24, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life

December 24.

"Look, Daddy. Teacher says every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings." The most classic line in the most classic Christmas movie ever made. I love "It's a Wonderful Life!" James Stewart, Donna Reed, Clarence!

I have always liked the movie but in the last few years I really appreciate it. I think I'm a lot like George Bailey. I grew up with these grand visions of what life would be like, all the places I'd go, the things I'd see. But then one day I woke up and realized this is it. How depressing. Of course George gets to see the world if he'd never been born. He witnesses the lives of all the people he has helped and the good he has done in Bedford Falls. When he realizes he had a wonderful life it's because everyone is falling apart without him. But maybe that is how you're supposed to value your life. And in the end they do save him too.

I don't know if I will ever have that revelation, but it's nice to watch George realize how much his life is worth and that he really has accomplished so much. So no matter how depressing it appears I always feel better when George screams Merry Christmas to Bedford Falls and Zulu squeaks out that famous line.

2 comments:

  1. I know at least 1 persons life that you have made so much richer and filled with joy ! Thank you Lauren, Dad

    ReplyDelete