Wednesday, December 15, 2010

La Vie en Rose

December 10.

Marion Cotillard won an Oscar for her role in "La Vie en Rose," it's set in Paris, and follows the life of the famous French singer Edith Piaf. It really has the makeup of a movie I would love ... but I didn't. I don't know the singer or her music, and maybe that's part of it, even though that hasn't kept me from liking these kinds of movies in the past. ,

Cotillard seemed like she was playing a caricature of Piaf, who had a rough childhood growing up between the streets of Paris and her grandmother's brothel. Although she had bad parents they were both talented and she started performing as a child. She seemed to go from bratty kid to bratty, famous adult without missing a beat and although I felt bad for her I didn't really like her. The whole time I kept thinking I was watching a bad sketch on "Mad TV" played by Nicole Sullivan (she really looks like her).

My other complaint is the way the story skipped around. I don't always mind this, sometimes it's a great technique and adds something to the story, but it just confused me during this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment