Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

January 31.

I really don't think I would have seen this "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" if Heath Ledger hadn't died, it didn't really seem like my type of movie – weird, gypsies running around London and then morphing into some alter-universe. But, when he died while filming the movie and director Terry Gilliam hired three actors to play Tony in the imaginarium I had to see it. And I'm so glad I did!

I would have loved the movie even if Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and Colin Farrell didn't step into Ledger's role. The movie was visually interesting and the story of this family make-shift family was great. I was engrossed in the fantasy of Doctor Parnassus, played by Christopher Plummer and his daughter Valentina, Lily Cole.

It was disturbing to see Ledger hanging from a noose in his first scene and I did think about how the movie might have be different had Ledger lived ( was he cut out of scenes? there was one where you heard him but didn't see him) but mostly I was entertained and and lost in the imaginarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment