Monday, January 4, 2010

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging

January 1.

After Orson Welles, I stopped by the grocery store for provisions and saw this movie in the Red Box rental machine. (I'd never used the box, which is awesome. Pay $1 a day for new movies and bring it back whenever you want.) "Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging," - which, yes, I know, is for 14-year-olds, but so is "Twilight" and no one is making fun of anyone about that!! - was suggested to me by Netflix because I have a weird obsession with all things British. And I had to get this one because it's set in a seaside town on the southern coast of England, near where I studied abroad 10 years ago. (I will absolutley watch a movie because of where it is set.)

Angus has a really cute story that brought me back to my Judy Blume days – worrying about boys and “mean” girls. Brighton and Eastbourne are beautiful, and the girls who play Georgia and Jas (Georgia Groome and Eleanor Tomlinson) are perfect. "Angus" was directed by Gurinder Chadha, who also made "Bend it Like Beckham," another British-14-year-old-girl story that I love!

By the way, Angus is Georgia's adorable, fluffy, gray cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment