Monday, February 15, 2010

Crazy Heart

February 6.

Jeff Bridges will always be The Dude to me, but I have to admit he was great as Bad Blake, the faded country star. He's probably going to win an Oscar for the role, and he should. The character lived a hard, selfish life and now at 57 he's on the road playing small bars and bowling alleys (I was looking for Donnie and Walter while he was there) to a handful of people.

In addition to an amazing performance, he sang all his own songs, as did Colin Farrell who plays Bad's former touring partner Tommy Sweet. Tommy is hot (obviously), successful, and famous, which makes Bad look even more depressed.

Maggie Gyllenhaal (one of my favorite actresses), who played Bad's love interest, gave me hope for Bad's future. He seemed to want to change to be with her and was great with her son, Buddy.

I don't think there are any big twists, you can probably guess how the chain-smoking alcoholic turns out, but the performances are amazing. Robert Duvall, who plays Bad's father, only has a few scenes but they are full of wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.

    ReplyDelete