Monday, January 4, 2010

The Wrestler

January 2.

I returned "Angus" to the Red Box and scrolled to see what else was there. It was an extensive list, but I decided on "The Wrestler," which I always wanted to see and hadn't. Sometimes I have to psych myself up to see some of these movies I know are going to be hard to watch, even if they are amazing.

And Mickey Rourke as Randy the Ram was both those things - amazing and hard to watch. Following Randy's demise was depressing and painful. He didn’t see anyway out, and neither did I. Marisa Tomei was gorgeous as Randy’s almost-girlfriend, stripper Pam/Cassidy, and even the highly-annoying Evan Rachel Wood didn’t bother me as his daughter, Stephanie. All the actors did a phenomenal job, especially Rourke who made me feel for this character, even though his decisions had created this life he was living.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched this movie tonight. I feel like I wasn't quite in the mood to appreciate it. I've never been a fan of wrestling. I think it was a good movie, and Robert really enjoyed it, but I just couldn't get beyond the wrestling aspect of it. All of the actors were amazing, though.

    ReplyDelete