Sunday, October 17, 2010

Nowhere Boy

October 16.

I finally took a break from France and jumped to the gritty, working-class neighborhood of Liverpool, England, circa 1955. A 15-year-old John Lennon (played by Aaron Johnson) was sort of a dork, definitely a trouble maker, and didn't seem to have much of a future, ahem ... "Nowhere Boy" was born.

The whole movie plays out over two years as John, living with his strict Aunt Mimi and secretly visiting his mother, Julia, who abandoned him when he was 6, figures out who he is and falls in love with Elvis and rock 'n' roll.

Although the end sort of turns into a melodramatic, Lifetime movie experience, I cut it a little slack because his life was melodramatic but still interesting. Plus, there was enough music peppered throughout to make me think at any moment I was going to see The Quarrymen transform into The Beatles. The movie ends when John is leaving for Hamburg, so...OK, I didn't actually get to see The Beatles. But, I did see a 15-year-old Paul and a pop-in from a teenage George.

There was definitely enough going on in this story to warrant it's own movie, but I think someone needs to pick up where it leaves off and share the next chapter. If you see it, make sure you stay through the credits for real photos of the boys during the 50s!

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen Backbeat? It's about their days in Hamburg. But it tends to focus more on Stuart Sutcliffe and his relationship with John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it. Maybe I'll check it out. I did see a BBC documentary about their years in Hamburg. It was good but I want to see it with Aaron Johnson.

    ReplyDelete