Monday, October 11, 2010

Amelie

October 11.

Lately I've been a little obsessed with all things French, so to continue with my infatuation I put on one of my favorite French movies, "Amelie." I was just going to watch for a few minutes before I went to sleep but once I started I couldn't turn it off.

"Amelie" is set in a dream-like Paris. It's a fantasy and a painting all in one. And, Audrey Tautou is adorable as the title character with her cute bob, wide eyes, and innocent smile. It's weird to think this movie is really about a group of depressed, lonely people. I don't feel sad as I watch their sadness.

The subtitles go a bit too fast but it doesn't matter. Watching Amelie do good things for everyone around her is sweet. My favorite story is, of course, the traveling gnome. I really hope this was the first traveling gnome and it didn't start in a commercial, but either way ... nothing beats the traveling gnome! I love seeing the photos her dad gets in the mail with his head popping up in front of famous landmarks around the world.

I kinda feel like I want to watch it again right now. Maybe I'll turn the subtitles off and see if I can understand anything they are saying. I am learning French, but I'm on La Femme, L'homme, so this might be jumping the gun a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment