Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ramona and Beezus

August 28.

OK. I know this movie is for 12 year old girls. But I grew up with Ramona. And, Beverly Cleary might be the reason I'm a writer. Her books made me love reading, and writing.

"Ramona and Beezus" seemed to take scenes from the entire Ramona series but it's been so long since I read any of the books that I'm not sure how true the story is to its inspiration. The story was simple and probably great for little girls. But whatever. What I loved was when those scenes, which I read more than 20 years ago, would appear and they would take me right back. Like Ramona squeezing an entire tube of toothpaste into the sink. And, running around in her red rain boots!

I love how the movie turned Ramona and Beezus' dad into an illustrator so we got to see drawings of Ramona as they were in the books.

The cast was great, too. Joey King as Ramona, Selena Gomez as Beezus, and the adults - Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Duhamel, John Corbett, Bridget Moynahan, and Sandra Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment