Saturday, August 14, 2010

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky

August 14.

I don't know what my fascination with Coco Chanel is. I'm not into fashion but there's something about the woman who changed the way women dress that fascinates me. Plus, where there's Coco there's Paris.

Last year, I saw and loved "Coco Before Chanel," which chronicles the iconic fashion designer's early life. "Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" focuses on her relationship with the world-famous Russian composer, and in some ways picks up right after last year's movie ended. She's older, wiser, successful, heart broken, and a lot more tightly wound.

If I compare the two, I enjoyed watching Gabrielle transform into Coco more than watching her as a cold, harsh business woman in a relationship with a married, misogynist (plus the first movie stars Audrey Tautou, my favorite French actress). But, there were moments of this story that I enjoyed. It was sad and moving, and any glimpse I can get into Chanel life I'll take!

2 comments:

  1. This is on my list of to-see movies. I also loved Coco Before Chanel. And i'm the same way-I know nothing about fashion, but the Chanel storyline fascinates me for some reason. Can't wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to get back to Paris someday.

    ReplyDelete