Monday, February 22, 2010

The Hurt Locker

February 21.

There are some movies, no matter how much critics rave, I have to psych myself up to see. I've wanted to see "The Hurt Locker" since it was in the theater but just never got the energy to do it. So, I added it to my Netflix queue, then looked at it sitting near the DVD player for a few weeks. I could have just skipped this film, there are plenty of great movies I've never seen, but I'm really glad I didn't.

The movie was amazing from the first nail-biting scene. I avoid horror movies but was thinking the entire time I watched this that it was scarier than anything I've ever seen in a slasher flick. I don't know anyone serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, but I know this is actually happening now, and it made it more significant and meaningful.

I hear stories of soldiers returning from war and their struggles with everyday life, suicide, and depression and after watching this movie I don't know how anyone returning from war can cope with life in a "normal" way.

"The Hurt Locker" did an amazing job of putting the viewer into the situation and making us feel the danger and threat as the unit counts down the days until they go home. And these were the emotions I had from my comfortable couch. I can't imagine what it must be like for soldiers and their families.

2 comments:

  1. I believe you meant slasher flick rather than thrasher flick. A thrasher flick is a skateboarding movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, slasher. I've never even seen a thrasher movie. Unless "Gleaming the Cube" is a thrasher flick. I've seen Cube about 100 times!

    ReplyDelete