Sunday, June 20, 2010

Miss Austen Regrets

June 20.

I think I just hate all stories about Jane Austen. It's probably because I know that historians don't really know the details about her love like that these movies like to show. Not that I can't appreciate a great fantasy. "Girl with a Pearl Earring," starring Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth, is a great movie, which tells the story of the girl in the famous painting by Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer. The entire story is fabricated because no one knows who the girl is or what her relationship to the painter was. But, the movie and its story are both incredible.

So, I guess it's just the make believe around Jane Austen that irritates me. This story, "Miss Austen Regrets" was painful. Watching an older Austen help her young niece decide who she should marry, while regretting her own choices, was just sad and not how I want to think about Jane Austen.

From now on, I'll stick to works by, rather than about, Austen.

No comments:

Post a Comment