Saturday, May 22, 2010

Letters to Juliet

May 15.

I'm going to save the story of how I, once again, ended up at a dumb romantic comedy on a Saturday afternoon and say "Letters to Juliet" is my new guilty pleasure.

Even though it's full of the contrived rom-com bullshit, where the cute girl has a jerky, self-involved boyfriend and meets a guy she hates but eventually realized he's her soulmate, I still got caught up in the sweetness and the Italian countryside.

Sophie (Amanda Seyfriend) is adorable but the better part of the movie and the story I really cared about was Claire's (Vanessa Redgrave) lost love from 50 years before.

There were funny moments, most notably a scene where an old, Italian man cursed his dead wife's mustache, but these movies are never really funny, are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment