Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wall Street

March 20.

"Wall Street" is one of those movies I kind of knew about but never saw because I was 8 when it came out and don't have much interest in finance, but I saw Shia LeBeouf talking about the soon-to-be released sequel and thought it might be interesting. (Although, part two was supposed to be in theaters already and was held up for some reason, always a bad sign.)

"Wall Street" kept my interest but I didn't find myself rooting for any of the characters. Charlie Sheen played the young broker, Bud Fox, who was trying to break into the world of the stock market. He didn't come across as special, intelligent, or likeable and I wasn't hoping he'd succeed. Michael Douglas was Gordon Gekko, the successful mentor who let Bud into the realm of the yuppie. He wasn't very likeable either, but he wasn't supposed to be liked. His character was a bit one-dimensional but a good villain can be fun.

This movie is so dated it was uncomfortable. There was even a classic montage featuring Daryl Hannah, who played Bud's girlfriend and interior designer, transforming his Upper East Side apartment into a palace of pastel and paint splatter. Ah, the 80s.

3 comments:

  1. I remember I had a economics teacher in high school that made us watch this movie. I had the feeling that she didn't screen the movie before showing it to us...

    Still, never trust anyone that says their role model is Gordon Gecko. Like Ryan from The Office.

    -Tuna

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did he say that? That's funny. I obviously didn't get the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was during the seasons (I think seasons 3-4) during and after he was promoted to regional manager and was a cocaine-addicted go-go 80's man.

    -BIG Tuna

    ReplyDelete