Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

March 20.

My expectations weren't really high for Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." I wanted to like it, visually it looked amazing, but Burton has disappointed me before. Boba agreed to go even though I think she expected less than I did. We made our way to The Palms so we could see it in IMAX 3D and with no signs of Jimmy D, we settled in for what turned out to be an unnecessary sequel to the beloved story.

It was, as expected, visually interesting. But, I didn't like the back story given to any of the characters, and the Mad Hatter was the most depressing. The charm of Lewis Carroll's original is the nonsense of it all. This adaptation answered questions I didn't have and jumbled characters and scenes I always loved.

Johnny Depp and Burton have made some memorable movies together. But the last few years have been a letdown. Maybe they should take a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment