Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Trois Couleurs: Bleu (Three Colors Blue)

April 9.

Trois Couleurs is one of those trilogies that has been recommended to me over and over and has been in my Netflix queue for years. I wanted to see it, three great French movies that everyone loves, but I never found the motivation. So when my friend mentioned he had ordered the trilogy last year and finally got it, I guess Amazon didn’t have the motivation to send it, I said OK, let me borrow it. I’m sure he wasn’t going to charge me late fees, but I didn’t feel it was right to hold onto it for months, so finally this weekend I watched part one: Bleu.

So after all this time it’s nice to be able to say Bleu, starring Juliette Binoche as the widow of a famous composer, really lived up to the hype. It was amazing and beautiful and disturbing and sad.

Bleu starts with the car accident that kills Binoche’s husband and daughter and follows her as she tries to live after the tragedy. Bleu is a bit mysterious with unanswered questions and a linear storyline but it seems to be more about the emotion.

I’ve already returned Bleu and have parts two and three. I am excited to see where this trilogy, which is general in theme, (trilogy of films dealing with contemporary French society concerns), goes.

Rating: Love

2 comments:

  1. This movie was shallow and pedantic because it bills itself as a romance but it's really an anti-romance. The male lead, the other composer guy, that wanted to show Juliette Binoche how to get to Carnegie Hall, is repulsing. The whole movie you can tell she's not even having it.

    By the time it's over you're more sad than you are redeemed. Kind of like the wrestler, I guess, but without having to look at Mickey Rourke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah. This movie is exactly like The Wrestler. Well, in the humanic theme more than the physical being, but still it's cut from the same cloth.

    ReplyDelete