Friday, January 28, 2011

Marie Antoinette

January 28.

As a lot of you know, I am obsessed with the British Royals and France. So when I came across this PBS documentary about the last queen of France, Marie Antoinette, I couldn’t resist.

The queen, who famously did or did not tell the starving people of France to eat cake, is such an interesting historical character I can’t believe there aren’t more movies about her. Of course there’s the Sofia Coppola film, and although that movie is pretty and deals with the lavish lifestyle the queen had it doesn’t get to the parts that I was excited to learn about in this documentary.

It explains the affair with the necklace, which was turned into a bad movie a few years ago and was the turning point for the French revolution. It appeared that the queen was sneaking around buying a ridiculously expensive necklace while her people were starving. Whether that’s true or not, no one really knows.

Another aspect of her life the movie looks at is the years after she was taken from Versailles until she was beheaded. I guess I always thought she was killed the same night, but that’s not the case.

This documentary makes me wish there were some great movies about the queen and the French Royals. I guess I’ll just have to find a good book.

Rating: Like

No comments:

Post a Comment