Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Room with a View

April 11.

I caught the Masterpiece Theatre version of E.M. Forster's "A Room with a View" on PBS. (I heart PBS) I had, of course, heard of the book, but hadn't read it or seen any of the film adaptations.

I could tell the story, about a British girl living in Edwardian England and visiting Florence, Italy, was something I should love, but the movie didn't quite work. I've seen many Masterpiece Theatre movies and always loved them. Masterpiece's "Pride and Prejudice" may be the best adaptation of that story. But, this one felt rushed and not complete.

I read that there is an Oscar-nominated version starring Helena Bonham Carter from the 80s, so, I added that to my Netflix queue. I hope that version does a better job of telling the whole story. Maybe I'll have to skip the movies and pick up the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment